top of page

What to Do When Pulled Over After Drinking Alcohol

First and foremost, it's important to emphasize that no one should ever operate a motor vehicle when they're impaired. Believe it or not, if there's any type of injury in a crash, even if you're moderately impaired, you could be facing a prison sentence of several years for a conviction in the state of Florida.

But since I currently have 11 different Driving Under the Influence cases in which I'm representing individuals that have gone through this, it's important to discuss with you the most effective way to handle that type of situation. When you're pulled over, the officer always asks for proof of registration and proof of insurance.

It's good practice to keep those things readily accessible. It’s important to keep your answers with law enforcement as brief as possible and to remember that the officer has an operable body cam working in most situations. In my experience, once an officer asked you to get out of the vehicle, he is going to arrest you for driving under the influence.

The best course of action at that point in time is to respectfully refuse to answer any questions, respectfully refuse to take the field sobriety exercises, and once you're at the jail, respectfully refuse to take the intoxilizer. Again, it's important to remember that there typically is an operable video in the patrol car and an operable video when you're in the intoxilizer room at the jail.

Now, if you do not have a prior DUI conviction, I will be able to get you a restricted driver's license. Every officer involved in a DUI situation is going to say your driver's license will be revoked for 12 months if you refuse to take the roadside test or refuse to take the intoxilizer.

I can't emphasize enough that as long as you don’t have a prior DUI conviction, you will be able to drive. As long as you refuse the breathalyzer and roadside sobriety exercises, and your driving pattern is not egregiously bad, there is a very good chance that I can get the DUI charge reduced.

If you’re currently facing this situation, give me a call at 850-439-1818 or send a message here for your free consultation.


Les commentaires ont été désactivés.
bottom of page